TELEHEALTH INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth refers to providing medical consultations over the phone or via videoconferencing. This has been an accepted method of providing care for many years, and has mainly found use in rural and remote areas, where access to services is difficult.
With Coronavirus and the implications for social distancing in waiting rooms and doctors offices, telehealth has become increasingly helpful in providing specialist care whilst respecting the need to keep physical distance during this challenging time.
What are the advantages of Telehealth?
- We can offer our services to you at a time when most people are being advised to stay at home, thereby reducing your risk of exposure to Coronavirus
- Most telehealth appointments are available within 1 week – the usual waiting times for patients to see a specialist are longer than 1 month
We can see patients from anywhere in Australia
What services do we provide?
Via TELEPHONE we can:
- Take a full medical and family history
- Perform limited voice assessments
- Review your imaging (e.g. a CT scan or hearing test you may have already had completed)
- Provide referral forms for investigations like a hearing test or allergy testing
- Provide referral forms for imaging (e.g. X-rays, ultrasound or CT scans of the area you are worried about to gain information and/or reassurance)
- Provide medications where appropriate (e.g. antibiotics for chronic sinusitis)
- Review any photos or videos you may have such as a recording of someone snoring where you are worried about sleep apnoea, or a photo of your tonsils – many patients take these on their smart phones
Via VIDEO we can:
- Additionally we can look in your mouth
- Review a wound
- Do a facial and neurological assessment (limited)
- Do a basic balance test
- Review a facial nerve palsy
What if it is urgent?
If it becomes apparent that your particular condition requires urgent face to face examination or assessment, we can arrange to do this with appropriate protective equipment either in the clinic or in a hospital nearby.